Sep 12, 2010

Influence

"The sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say," Geronimo, Apache Chief.

If we remembered that the above is true, in that what we say affects ourselves and others, we might be more careful about what we say. Yesterday we took our grandson to a movie. It was rated PG, but it has been a long time since I saw a movie filtered through the lens of what is appropriate for a young person to see. A lot of sexual language, violence, harsh language. When I commented on it afterward, he seemed unfazed. It is important for me to realize, since it was PG, that this is the norm for our society now. Recently I saw a movie which I had liked from my own childhood era, and while there was no blatant sex, there was drunkenness and a lot of smoking.

It is important that we, and the media, be aware of the message we are sending, what we are condoning. Someone may be listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment