Feb 15, 2011

Peace of mind

"No one destroys our joy but ourselves," Ernest Holmes.

I know the above statement is true. It is part of our maturation as humans to stop saying, "You made me mad." and evolve into, "I allowed your action to make me angry." The control over our happiness lies exclusively within ourselves. But, what of those times we feel too much under assault? In recent days we have had a renter give abrupt notice of moving, the weight of the snow has crushed my greenhouse, and tax preparation is looming. What about when we feel overwhelmed? One of the most difficult things about being a dementia caregiver is trying to find something to look forward to. It seems that psychologically I need things to look forward to. Sometimes that is hard, and, like happiness, it is up to me to create those things to look forward to. That is my goal for today: finding something to look forward to. What are the things you look forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment