Jun 2, 2011

Community

"Community means strength that joins our strength to do the work that needs  to be done.  Arms to hold us when we falter.  A circle of healing.  A circle of friends.  Someplace where we can be free."  Starhawk.

In an ideal world we each have a community of people who love and support us.  As dementia caregivers, creating such a community seems to have extra difficulties.  Many people are uncomfortable being with someone who is demonstrating cognitive and physical deficits; I saw that when I was involved in special education and, of course, now.  And, for some of us as caregivers, it is hard to get away to create a community of support for ourselves.  Therefore, I am grateful for the supporters I have:  a kind neighbor with whom I garden, kind relatives who invite us on excursions, friends who support me in phone calls.  What forms of community can we create for ourselves and the person for whom we provide care?

No comments:

Post a Comment