Feb 1, 2012

Self compassion

"May I be safe.  May I be peaceful. May I be kind to myself.  May I accept myself as I am." Kristen Neff, PhD, University of Texas.

This is a self affirmation created by Dr. Neff and found in her book, Self Compassion.  According to her research we can improve our health and happiness by embracing self compassion, instead of self criticism.  One way to do this is to have a self-compassion journal.  Each day write down anything you felt bad about for which you judged yourself harshly.  Then write down how you felt.  Next, remind yourself that being human means making mistakes. Finally, give yourself some loving-kindness by writing some kind, comforting words like:  "It's okay.  I understand how frustrating caregiving can be."  A second way to build self compassion is by repeating affirmations, like the one above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment