Mar 10, 2014

Suffering

  1. "
    "We are healed from suffering only by experiencing it to the full." Marcel Proust

    Mental health professionals would likely agree that to go through a feeling to the other side, we must experience it.  That is true as much for joy as suffering, but suffering -- or other emotions we deem negative -- are more likely to be resisted.  For some reason I have been experiencing more grieving than usual.  I suppose it is in response to Dwane's decline in functioning, but it still is a surprise to me.  I think it is important that we who are caregivers do our grieving.  Since it is difficult for me to cry, I think I will rent a very sad movie, like Steel Magnolias, in order to facilitate the cry I feel I need.  How do you grieve the emotions of sadness that are a part of the caregiver's journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment