Jan 24, 2010

Chronological racism

Interesting article in AARP saying that "age is the last acceptable bias in this country", and that some are calling it chronological racism. That statement seems true. And an even more longlasting bias is for people who are both old and have the characteristics of dementia. Perhaps with all of the population age 50 and above now, especially in the U.S., some of those biases and misperceptions will change. We can each do our part. I freely acknowledge my age. I do so with pride after reading that it is a way to help correct the misconceptions about older women. We can do the same for dementia, helping people not to fear this condition, nor the people who have it.

2 comments:

  1. I was struck by the same phrase and wrote about it on my blog too at everyoneisaging.com, great to discover your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, thank you for your comments and for alerting us to your blog. This is just what I wanted: for people to use this vehicle to better inform and support people. I will check out your blog. Judith

    ReplyDelete