May 22, 2010

Nonjudgment

"Judge not that ye be not judged, for with what judgement ye judge ye shall be judged," Jesus.

Judgment is such an interesting thing, and it causes so much pain for humanity. When I am providing life coaching, the judgments of others is often the topic for the person being coached. Long ago it occurred to me that any one of us, given a certain set of circumstances, could be like the person we are judging. For instance, when I worked with children with cognitive disabilities and others were unkind to them; I would tell the children being unkind that all it would take is a blow to the head, and they could be experiencing what they were ridiculing.

I remember that in providing care to someone with dementia too. Illnesses fall upon us all, and if the lottery of life had been different, I might be the one requiring care. That helps me to give care in ways I would prefer receiving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment