Mar 31, 2011

Irony

"Humor brings insight and tolerance. Irony brings a deeper and less friendly understanding.” Agnes Repplier

I had a wonderful weekend of respite. My son-in-law came to stay here, while I went to stay with my daughter. It was a time of healing conversation, wonderful food, and cherished moments and insights. It is so healing for me to have a conversation in which I hear and am heard. The irony: I have noticed that the first few days back from an environment in which we have had mutual, give-and-take conversation is hard for me. Communications is so difficult here, and it takes me a bit of time to remember that the rhythm of communicating with the care receiver here is like swimming though molasses. One of my joys in life is easy, respectful, fun, direct, honest, open communication. That is one thing that is absent from my day-to-day life. So, I resolve to enjoy those moments when I hear and am heard. I also resolve to remember that communicating here is at an entirely different level and pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment