Mar 23, 2012

Allowing the flow of life

"Again and again, we, more than any other life form, have this majestic and burdensome power to harbor or release the impact of our experience. Surprise and challenge in, heartache and joy out." Mark Nepo

We all know people, and have sometimes ourselves, held on to the negative remnants of a life experience.  It is a fine balance to sift the heartache and joys and to let them both flow in and out.  Sorrowful moments can no more be held than joyful ones.  If we are honest, we who are caregivers have both.  Whenever I take Dwane to a grocery store, there is frustration for me of trying to get all the items he wants, and keep track of him.  But, if I am honest, there are also moments of pleasantness too.  He still has his cute sense of humor.  Recently when I slowed down upon seeing a law enforcement vehicle, I commented that I think I may have been speeding.  Dwane's response was, "Really?!" 

The temptation, I think, as humans is to hold on to the frustrations or other forms of heartache -- chew on them, harbor them.  It is not good for us to hold on to the pain of life, and it is not possible to hold on to the joys.  Neither can be held.  To be fully human we need to let them come in and go out.

"How can you follow the course of your life if you do not let it flow?" Lao-Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment