Mar 4, 2012

Laughter for stress

"Frustrated?  Ask yourself what aspects of your situation are so absurd you can't help but laugh." Lindsey Konkel

According to a study reported in Healthy Living, people who complained to friends felt less satisfied than those who put their problems in a funny or positive light.  I had a recent experience that yielded similar results.  I met with a woman who also has a spouse with Lewy Bodies Dementia, and she was full of doom and gloom about the closed doors for help that she has encountered.  She has every right to her feelings, but it was not good for me to hear them.  She said her husband had been evaluated by a nursing home twice and did not qualify, and that she had been on a facility's waiting list for over a year.  It is not helpful for me to hear such dire facts, even if they might be true.  I had my own bump with longterm care insurance this week; the company was in the process of closing the claim.  I decided that I had the choice of being annoyed at the extra work of correcting this mistake, or I could be grateful that the mistake was caught while easily corrected.  I have to admit, it would be pretty absurd for longterm care insurance to cancel on us just when things are getting significantly worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment