Apr 16, 2012

Hurtful actions

"Oh, dearest, you can't hurt me ---- only I can do that." Byron Katie

The above statement is true, even though it is difficult to practice.  Others do hurt us, but if we are really honest with ourselves, it is because we let them.  I don't know about you, but it is a work in progress for me to not allow others to hurt me.  I am getting better at it, but I have not reached Byron Katie's professed level.  One way to practice not allowing others to hurt us is the Buddhist way of nonattachment.  Neither be attached to or averse to what happens.  It is easy to take things too personally; whereas, most of the time people's actions do not actually have much to do with us.  They are often acting out of their own pain or confusion.  The only answer, it seems, is to live our lives with the intention of wanting the highest and best good for everyone, to strive not to take things personally, and to allow others the benefit of the doubt.  What if we consider that we each are doing the best we can within our unique life circumstances?

No comments:

Post a Comment