Apr 26, 2012

Positive Comments

"Little else you say can change so much in the life of another as words of praise, compliments, or encouragement." TUT, Note from the Universe www.tut.com

I once heard a speaker say that giving compliments was a way to distance yourself from people.  When he said it, I was intrigued.  Now, years later, I am still trying to decide if he was correct in what he said, as it has been a long practice of mine to provide positive feedback (praise, compliments and encouragement) to others.  So, this message from the Universe which arrived in my email box today is especially poignant for me.  A practice I developed in the 1970's from M. Scott Peck's book, The Road Less Traveled, was to say to people only what I truly believed was in their best interest to hear.  That eliminates a lot of talk, and it helps me be conscious that what I do say is helpful to the person who hears it, which includes myself.  So, that eliminates negativity, judgment, criticism, sarcasm (stopped that when I read it came from a root word meaning to 'tear flesh'), humor at anyone's expense, comments which limit myself or others.  This list is not inclusive of all the ways humans diminish one another verbally.  So, until proven wrong, I will continue the practice of speaking to others words of praise, compliments and encouragement -- truthfully.  I will also speak the hard truths when I believe that is necessary for the person's highest and best interest.  A fine discerning, which I think can come only from faithful spiritual practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment