Jul 17, 2010

Behavior

"Awareness is insufficient if it doesn't translate into better behavior in the world," Tony Schwartz.

We are all aware of those people who feel strongly about a behavior, but they themselves do not reach that standard of behavior. A classic example is the person from the pulpit who rants about molesting children, but is doing so him/herself. As a therapist it is interesting to observe the very large gap there is sometimes between what one says and what one does. And, often, the person who rants the most about a behavior is the very one who misses the mark in displaying the behavior they desire. Only when a person has integrated their words into their behavior are they a maturing individual. Because I care if I am congruent in my words and my deeds, I am watchful of my behavior as indicator. It is an easy practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment