Jul 8, 2010

Being true to self

"Be yourself today regardless of what happened yesterday," Ernest Holmes.

It surprises me in my own life and in my psychological work how easily we are led away from who we truly are. Life seems to present distractions that can take us from our true path and our true selves. I said to someone this morning that it seems a guideline for knowing if we are on our true path is the absence of a lot of obstacles. Of course, this takes some discerning; but it seems to me that if everything is going very hard with lots of controversy, then perhaps I want to review where I am headed. When I am following the path that unfolds my own potential, there is more ease. This is good for me to remember in living with dementia. Regardless of how much I lost my way yesterday in following my own unique path (and this really doesn't matter the setting: it is how I "show up" in the world; my intentions, thoughts, actions), today I choose to return to being myself truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment