Jul 19, 2010

Making lemonade of lemons

"Barn's burnt down. Now I can see the moon." Masahide.

What a delightful way to say that out of every misery or disaster, good can be found. Dementia is a type of "barn burnt down". In the tragedies in my life it seems that one of the most grieved aspects is the death of the dream of whatever was. In living with dementia there is the death of the dream of the relationship we once had or that we hoped to have. I know of people who thought dementia brought out a better, more gentle person. I think that is somewhat rare, but goodness does exist if we but look for it. In our case, we don't work so hard any more. We allow ourselves more relaxation, more fun. That seems oddly paradoxical because in many respects my work load has grown exponentially as I have had to take over more and more of the responsibilities of life. Still, it is true that we have shifted our views of over working. What has been the silver lining(s) in your disaster of dementia?

No comments:

Post a Comment