Mar 2, 2011

Parkinsonism

"Most individuals who have Dementia with Lewy Bodies are affected by parkinsonism: signs and symptoms seen in Parkinson's disease." Mayo Clinic literature.

This is an increased symptom of Dwane's disease: stooped posture, shuffling walk, rigid muscles, slow movement, decreased facial expressions, tendency to drool, difficulty with fine motor skills. What can we do about these symptoms? The exercise program, Silver Sneakers, helps keep him flexible and works on his balance. We have started putting a towel on his pillow to help address the drooling at night. It takes him longer to do anything, so we plan things in advance so that he can be ready in time. I put a placemat under his plate to help capture escaping food. Fastening the seat belt in the car is laborious and slow. Because of my training in special education, I am aware that it is important to encourage people do what they are capable of doing. Having said that, I need to allow a lot more time for him to do tasks in order for him to remain independent. It is like when I had small children: it would certainly be easier to do a task myself, but, in my opinion, it is important to support him being independent for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment