Sep 10, 2012

Be Still

All the wisdom traditions say to be still -- that the stillness will bore holes in our useless knowing." Mark Nepo

Do you find yourself, especially when trying to go to sleep, sorting life in your head?  I do.  Especially when I believe I have too many things to do.  So, how does one become still?  There are suggestions that work.  Write a list of all the things you have to do; that will take away the anxiety of your trying to remember them and worrying that you won't remember.  Another tip I use is to stretch my legs every night before going to bed.  Troubled by restless leg syndrome, this habit enables my legs to relax enough that my mind also relaxes.  A chiropractor taught me a leg stretch that is wonderful.  You lie in a doorway with one leg up the frame of the door and the other leg on the floor in the doorway.  Then you alternate the other leg on the other side of the door frame.  Hold for the slow count to 30.  This enables the whole back of the leg and hip to relax.  The other stretch I do is a simple Achilles tendon stretch.  Leaning in a 45 degree angle against a counter (or other immovable object), place first one heel on the floor behind you, and then the other.  A simple and easy way to take care of yourself and ensure you get the sleep you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment