Oct 25, 2010

Fresh start

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." Dr. Seuss.

How very, very true. And steer myself I did. Our son and nephew invited Dwane on an outing, so I had my first real break from 24/7 responsibility in a long time. I am renewed. It is both hard and imperative for us as caregivers to provide breaks for ourselves. This is getting more attention now with the national impetus spearheaded by Maria Shriver. I am hopeful good things will come of recognizing how Alzheimer's (and by association, all dementias) affect family members. It is so helpful to a disease when someone of status provides some focus and impetus for funding and research.

The October 25, 2010, Time magazine has good material on Alzheimer's. They make the medication aspect sound more promising than what Mayo Clinic indicated. Perhaps they are considering a more futuristic aspect of optimism. There is, apparently, nothing new that is helpful now; but, with new information on what the medication is targeting, there will be more research in those directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment