Sep 8, 2013

Higer Self

"We first come into contact with the archetype of the Higher Self through stories involving heroes, wise women and men, kings and queens, prophets and saviors, and people who stretch the limits of what we consider 'normal'."  Dr. Joan Borysenko

Dr. Borysenko goes on to say that Errol Flynn was one of her heroes.  Hero is a non-gender term, so it can be either male or female.  Who were your heroes?  I remember being entranced by the deeds and magic of a girl who could make herself just as small as "sniffles", a mouse; and then she could do magical things.  Later, I was captivated by Wonder Woman.  My heroes seem to have contained both women and men.  I did admire Gene Autrey.  My sister and I would sit on the edge of our seats watching a Superman short in a Saturday matinee.  We need our heroes, so that we can find the hero in ourselves.  Each of us must, in order to be a fully developed human, take the hero's journey, which is the quest to find our true selves.  Outer models of heroes helps us in that quest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment