Sep 19, 2013

Regrets of Those Dying

"A palliative nurse who has counseled the dying in their last days has revealed the most common regrets we have at the end of our lives. And among the top, from men in particular, is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'." Bronnie Ware, an Australian nurse/Susie Steiner, theguardian.com

I already wish I had not worked so hard in my life, and it is something I say to Dwane -- we both have worked so hard.  I wish we had taken more trips, and I am so grateful for the ones we did take.  I wish we had played more, gone boating more, spent more time having fun.  Both of us were so oriented to working -- both inside and outside the home.  Our home always looked nice as a result, and we are able to pay for Dwane's care because of our continuing to work for pay and our careful stewarding of the money.  But.  I wish we had traveled more.  I wish we had planned more fun in our lives.  Now, when I see Dwane, I try to always schedule some fun -- even if it is just going out for an ice cream cone.  A balance of fun and work and recreation and socialization:  a well balanced life seems the ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment