Feb 7, 2011

Manners

"What is the difference between relationships which struggle and those that do not? Effective communication." Dr. Val Farmer.

Dr. Farmer is talking about marriage in the above quote, but communication is key to any relationship, and it gets harder and harder in a situation with dementia. Dr. Farmer suggests that good manners help in communication, and that can be true also in dealing with dementia. I find that I cannot assume he understands me, that writing things down (such as steps on how to do things, the time we are leaving, what the phone number is) all help, but still communication is difficult. Too many words hinder the understanding, as does talking too fast. So, I try to keep what I say specific and clear and concise. And I try not to be impatient.

No comments:

Post a Comment