Mar 31, 2013

Forgiveness

"Only my condemnation injures me.  Only my own forgiveness sets me free." A Course in Miracles

How very true.  People sometimes say that it is hard to forgive -- perhaps because of the gravity of the offense against them; but, in my opinion, we do not forgive to free the other person (although I think that does happen), but to free ourselves.  Holding grudges is like being bound by a cord to the other person.  The grudge holds too much of our attention, too much of our energy and thinking.  Only by forgiving can we be free.  If that is true, then how do we forgive?  By making the decision to forgive.  The other person does not even have to know or be involved.  If we make the decision to forgive the other person, or institution, or group, then the process of forgiveness starts - beginning the process of regaining our own freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment