Mar 17, 2013

Vitamin D

Preserve your brain with vitamin D.  It helps maintain better cognitive functioning and could protect against Alzheimer's disease.  Many experts recommend taking a supplement with 800 - 1200 IU, although the recommended dietary allowance is 600 IU."  Health magazine April, 2013

Several doctors have told me that any of us who live in the northern hemisphere (and, wouldn't it make sense for those who live in the southern hemisphere too -- if they are too far from the equator?) do not get enough sunlight for our bodies to produce sufficient vitamin D.  Doctors have checked my levels, and they were initially very low, and I was put on 50,000 IU's for three months.  After that intervention and after taking only the recommended 600 IU daily, my vitamin D levels again plummeted.  So, I am on 2600 IU's daily.  My sister who just underwent radiation for breast cancer was told that low levels of vitamin D were contributory to having cancer of the breast. I have also read studies where sufficient vitamin D is necessary for feeling happy.  So, for good cognitive functioning, avoiding cancer, and feeling happier, consider having your blood checked for vitamin D levels, and then take as a supplement what is an appropriate amount for your well being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment