Mar 4, 2013

Sleep: Getting Enough

"Most people don't realize that 'sleeping in' can actually contribute to insomnia.  I also keep all electronics, tv included, out of the bedroom, and I write a to-do list before bed so I don't stay awake worrying about the next day's tasks."  Travis Stork, MD

Sleep can be elusive as we get older, particularly with the demands and sometimes unpleasantness of caregiving.  We are going through another period where the care receiver is demanding to live at home, adamant no one else helps him anyway.  He can be very unpleasant and very unrealistic about the extent of the assistance he requires.  Of course, I know that this is due - in part - to his dementia; still, being human myself, it is upsetting.  That is usually what keeps me awake:  unpleasant conversations.  But, it can also be a list of things to do, and for handling that, Dr. Stork's recommendation is very good.  I tend to go to bed and get up at about the same time every day, and it had not occurred to me that sleeping in was counterproductive to sleeping well -- that is good information for people who tend to sleep in thinking it will 'catch them up' on their sleep.  I also do leg stretches at night, as restless legs can keep me awake for hours.  Calm, a powder of magnesium found at health food stores, also helps me be relaxed in body.  Whatever means you have found that support you are important because we do not cope well if we have not had sufficient sleep.  So, here's to wonderful nights of restorative sleep for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment