Jan 1, 2014

Changing Ourselves

"As I step more fully into my own power, I see that the only thing I can truly change is myself." Rev. Rebecca Simpson

As humans we try to change situations, other people, conditions --- but, as we mature we come to realize that the only thing we can change is ourselves.  I have seen people expend great amounts of energy trying to change the amount someone else drinks, eats, accomplishes.  It is futile, and - worse - it entangles us in ways that are destructive to our spirits.  Even with the person with dementia, it is impossible to change him or her.  We can set up environments that prevent some of the typical problems and dangers, but we cannot change the progression of the disease nor the person's handling of it --- which is often resistance and denial.  We can change ourselves.  We can stop expecting the person with dementia to be rational, to use good judgment, to think of us.  Dementia is a disease in which the person collapses into him/herself.  It usually does not leave room for empathy, so it behooves us to not look for empathy from that source.

No comments:

Post a Comment