Mar 20, 2014

Courage

"Our strength will continue if we allow ourselves the courage to feel scared, weak and vulnerable."
Melody Beattie

Everyone is scared at times.  It is not fear that keeps people from doing brave things; it is allowing ourselves to feel fear or weakness that allows us to be strong.  Someone reflected to me recently how kind I am to Dwane --- she described the way I treat Dwane as "beautiful".  That is my intention as caregiver; as reflected in the title of this blog:  Living with Dementia Graciously.  There are many ways we can show up as caregivers (just as there are many ways we show up in life in general).  Why not choose to show up graciously?  I have noticed that when I treat my loved one with kindness, he softens.  He goes from complaining to gratitude; from anger to acknowledging his fear.  It takes strength to acknowledge how frightening this caregiving is.  To witness the dying process of another human being and have some responsibility in how that process unfolds is daunting.  Let us acknowledge how daunting it is, and from that acknowledgement draw strength.  

No comments:

Post a Comment