Aug 24, 2010

Compassionate thoughts

"We have met the enemy and he is us," Pogo by Walt Kelly cartoonist.

I remember my whole family delighting in this quote when I was a child. It is delightful that some of the greatest wisdom can come in the form of cartoon strips. Of course, I guess that is the function the jesters and clowns used to serve -- passing along wisdom in the guise of humor. At a recent gathering someone was saying they were so grateful to not have the health concerns of someone else, but if the above quote is true (and I think it is); what one of us has, we all have. How does this apply to caregiving and the care receiver? Certainly, conditions could be reversed and it could be we that need the care provided. Perhaps that can help us be compassionate. For this journey, we drew the card for the caregiver. What can that mean to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment