Aug 25, 2010

Governing one's surroundings

"You govern your surroundings by the nature of what is taking place in your consciousness," Joel S. Goldsmith.

Very true. I learned this in my first few weeks of teaching many years ago. A large part of the atmosphere in a classroom is created by the conscious intention of the instructor. Order, respectful interactions all occur based upon the conscious intention of the instructor. Conversely, so do disorder, ridicule occur because nothing better was intended.

That is also true in the home and/or in relationships. It is important to be conscious of what we are thinking, intending, feeling - because that is what sets the tone of the area. That is why I consciously choose to think, feel and intend the best for all. It makes a difference. And it is easy to know what we are thinking and intending by catching ourselves off and on during the day. Check in with what we are thinking and feeling: that is our intention. It may not be what you thought it was. And that is one way to develop self honesty. Am I showing up as I intend to show up? My thoughts and feelings reveal the trueness of this for me. Let's be conscious of what environment we want to create in our surroundings while we are providing care.

No comments:

Post a Comment