Nov 13, 2011

Change as gratitude

Change your thinking, change your life." Eugene D. Holden

Change is something that humans may fear, and, indeed, there is security in the known -- even if the known is not optimal.  Others, perhaps those who venture to new lands, thrive on change.  I sometimes think about how different my life would be had it not been for my ancestors leaving the mother country.  They must have been an adventurous lot, as ocean passage in those days was arduous and dangerous.  I know I have some of their spirit in me, as I love change, and I am continually looking for better ways of doing things.  I was talking with a friend yesterday who said she can only stand to do something - like be in one job - for about 5 years.  I can resonate.  I believe that change is inevitable, so we can either embrace it or try to flee from it (and that will not work).  We don't even need to change jobs or relationships or geographic locations; perhaps all we need to do is change our thinking.  We can choose to think more positively.  My daughter asked me how I was doing so well in this caregiver role, and while I am sure it is due to a number of spiritual practices, I know it is also because I choose daily, even moment-to-moment, to change my thinking if it is not serving me. 

Today how can your thinking better serve you in the life you are living?

No comments:

Post a Comment