Nov 27, 2011

Self pity

"If you go around in a mood of feeling sorry for yourself, you will go around alone." Peppermint Patty character of Charles Schulz

I have always loved the wisdom Charles Schulz displayed in his characters in the comic strip, Peanuts.  We watched, "Snoopy Come Home", last night and the above quote is from it.  The wisdom:  if you go around feeling sorry for yourself, you will go alone.  Isn't that the truth?!  One might think it is easy to feel sorry for onself and to feel burdened by the caregiving of someone with dementia.  But, really, what good does that do anyone?  A friend said to me recently that I do not talk much about my caregiving situation.  She is right.  I don't talk much about it.  Frankly, that would depress me.  Instead, I focus on what is right in my life, the things for which I am grateful.  How are you coming on the practice of writing 5 things in the morning about which to be grateful and 5 things at night about which you were grateful during that day?  Eugene D. Holden says it will transform us.  I am ready to be transformed.  How about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment