Nov 15, 2011

Wisdom and gratitude

"After we leave school, we tend to head down one of two roads: 1.  We close our minds to new or different information while becoming more and more sure of ourselves; or 2. we watch, listen, and learn as we get older.  The second road has way more bumps and curves, but it's also the path to wisdom." Marilyn vos Savant.

I so agree with Ms. vos Savant's quote above, and it helps me understand some aspects of people.  I wrote another time that some members of my family appear to consider their opinions as facts.  Perhaps the reason for that is they chose to take the first road.  I am so grateful that life or Grace has helped me take the second road.  I love to observe and learn new and better ways of being in the world.  I am happy to give up a well-entrenched belief if I see evidence to its contrary.  I went to a speaker last night who said that the only way to develop consciousness is to let down the walls of our beliefs.  Perhaps that is true.  It seems to me that it is true that to develop spiritual and emotional maturity, we need to be willing to reconsider beliefs passed down to us.  Perhaps they are not what we ourselves truly believe.  Life is so interesting when one watches, listens, and learns.  Which way works best for you?  I choose the path to wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment