Nov 28, 2011

Uphold dignity

"Uphold the human dignity of every single person, no matter what their race or beliefs might be." Monsignor William O'Connell

I have had the good fortune of knowing the man quoted above, and he did, indeed, live by that quote.  While he was speaking of racial differences and social/economic inequities, we can apply the same quote and attitude to persons with dementia.  I have spent a significant amount of my life energy advocating for those with intellectual and learning differences:  not unlike what we are now experiencing in being caregivers for someone with dementia.  Let us vow to treat the person with dementia, and all persons -- to include ourselves, with dignity.  A definition in Webster's for dignity is worthy.  Let us consider that every person, including ourselves, is worthy of respect, kindness, tolerance, and inclusion.  What does treating someone with dignity mean for you?  How can you treat yourself with more dignity?  For me, I can recognize my limits, I can ask for help, I can take care of my own health, I can make sure I have fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment