Nov 12, 2011

Love as gratitude

"Ghosh trusted me to do whatever it is I would choose to do.  That, too, is love." Abraham Verghese

I have finished the book, Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese.  What a delightful read.  Full of passion, pathos, intrigue.  The above sentence captured me.  It is what I tried to do as a parent:  trust my children to do whatever he or she chose; knowing it would be what is best for them.  It would seem it is the love that the Divine must have for us; exampled in our freedom of choice --- which we exercise sometimes in our best interest and sometimes not.  So, today, I am grateful for all the people who have loved me enough to trust me to do what I choose to do at any moment.  And, I thank God for the grace to extend that level of love to others.  Even in being a caregiver for someone with dementia, there are many ways we can trust the person to choose rightly.  Perhaps our task is to discern when to intervene and when to trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment