Apr 6, 2013

How to Handle the Small Stuff

'I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.'  Maya Angelou

Such wisdom.  I learned some time ago that a way to tell a lot about a person is to take a trip with them.  It is amazing how much a person can learn from another person by being around them for even a 24-hour trip -- especially if something goes awry on the trip!  Over my life I have learned there are people I want to be around if there is a crisis, and there are people I would prefer are not around in a crisis.  A cancelled flight is another good example in which you can tell a lot about a person:  what an array of reactions from people -- about something over which they have no control.  One way I try to keep my serenity about things is to think if this incident/issue/challenge is important enough that I will remember it in ten years.  That helps me not to sweat the small stuff, and - as the saying goes - most of the things are the small stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment