Jul 3, 2013

Criticism

He has the right to criticize who has the heart to help.
-- Abraham Lincoln


Have you ever noticed that in most groups or organizations, those who criticize the most were those who had little to do with something getting done.  It is said that what we criticize in others includes shortcomings that we are reluctant to see in ourselves.  It can give us insight into ourselves when we pay attention to what annoys us.  I read recently that when we are angry, it usually means that we have been quiet too long about something.  I notice that is true for me:  that I can go along with things and be flexible, but then it seems a line can be crossed and I am annoyed.  I want to recognize earlier when my boundaries are being violated, when I am being taken advantage of, when someone is making unfounded demands of me.  Recognizing this early, I can so "No" at that point, and save myself from being angry later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment