Jul 7, 2013

How Can You Support A Caregiver?

"Family caregivers need:
  • To be asked about their needs, goals and preferences.
  • To easily know where to find the help and resources that match their preferences, values and financial situation.
  • To know how to arrange breaks and have the financial assistance and community resources to do so.
  • To be offered information, support and practical strategies on how to cope with runaway emotions such as guilt, anger, resentment, worry, isolation.
  • A core group of individuals who support without judging.
  • A community that accommodates rather than isolates.
  • A nation that recognizes their contribution as the backbone of our broken health care system and, in doing so, creates policies and systems that support caregivers and reward their contribution."  Mayo Clinic Newsletter
To the above, I say:  Amen, amen, amen.  I agree, I agree, I agree.  I am surprised how often I am asked how Dwane is by others, but how seldom the same people ask how I am.  As caregivers, we create support systems for the person needing the care; and then on top of that, we have to create systems of support for ourselves as well.  If you want to support a caregiver, and there are legions of us, the above suggestions are helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment