Jul 28, 2013

Use it or Lose It

"New research boosts the 'use it or lose it' theory about brainpower and staying mentally sharp.  People who delay retirement have less of risk of developing Alzheimer's disease or other types of dementia, a study of nearly half a million people in France found."  Associated Press

This story includes a woman, age 90, who continues to work.  She looks lovely and is active and mentally alert.  People suggest to me I should retire, and, of course, I did close my psychological practice for about five years to provide caregiving for Dwane.  I reopened it just this year, and I am loving having my brain engaged in purposeful learning and valued service.  Of course we can work too hard, but I think we can also quit too early --- and replace that activity with slowing down in all meanings of the word.  You do not have to continue working to stay sharp, but you do have to keep learning new things and having social interaction.  What do you do to keep mentally sharp?

No comments:

Post a Comment