Dec 29, 2013

The Now

"If all I have is Now, where will I look for Joy?  . . . . . all I need is right where I am." Mark Nepo

As humans we look around and strive for better situations, better relationships, better people -- we are often busy wanting something just out of our reach.  What if, instead, we look around and are happy with our own circumstances and the people within those circumstances?  What if we look around and practice gratitude for what we have in our lives.  Yes, it is human to dream about having things better; but it is also important to be grateful for what we have.  In fact, I think that is how things do get better for us -- being grateful for what we already have.  What, as caregivers, can we be thankful for today?  I am thankful that the person for whom I provide care is resisting his disease less, which makes him far more pleasant.  I am grateful for our clean air and water, and the freedoms we enjoy, and the opportunities for health and happiness available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment