Nov 17, 2009

Enjoying health

A reading this morning focuses on health. Author Deb Sandella says, "Our physical habits, emotional feelings, and spiritual beliefs manifest our health." She goes on to say, "My spirit and body align as one. When they speak, I listen, and when I listen, they thrive." I think there is truth in what she says. I also think that this practice is not infallible. What does one consider when bad things happen to good people? That is such a human mystery that books have been written about it, even with that title. To subscribe completely to the idea that our health is reflective of our own practices can produce guilt. I have had people say to me that there must be something about my karma that I am now living with someone with the terminal illness of dementia. Perhaps. Then it is only a small step to conclude that someone with a terminal illness chooses it. I don't think that anyone dealing with a terminal illness, whether having it or being caregiver, needs the stress and guilt of thinking we caused or chose this.

So, for me I continue to try to align with practices that support good health while not questioning how we got to this condition of dealing with a terminal illness. A friend once reported to me what a health practitioner said about believing we could always be in optimal health. "Well, we all have to die of something." That does seem to be part of the human condition, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment