Nov 23, 2009

A period of well-being

One of the most notable characteristics of Dementia with Lewy Bodies is the extreme variability in lucidity. Having said that, we have had a period now for several weeks where Dwane is doing much better cognitively. He is sometimes able to use the tv remote to find the game he wants to watch, he does some household chores such as emptying the dishwasher and setting the table while I am preparing dinner, and he even helped by putting stamps on the envelopes the last time I paid bills. He had not helped in any aspect with bill paying for over a year. Sometimes it is hard to remember that this is a terminal illness. Because of the extreme variability in lucidity we had experienced for over a year, I notice I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Everything I have read says this good period of functioning cannot continue. I want to enjoy it while it does. He has been on medication for dementia for over one year, so it does not seem that the medication could be helping more just in recent weeks. I had thought he was better because of looking forward to seeing his daughter and family, but his good functioning continues. Inexplicable. The other good periods we have had lasted for a few hours or few days. My intention is to enjoy this period of good functioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment