Nov 16, 2009

Smile

"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy," - Thich Nhat Hanh

This wise saying is supported by current research. One can change one's emotional status and brain chemistry by smiling. It seems to be that smiling is beneficial for the body and mind; and if one does not feel like smiling but smiles nevertheless, that brings the body into harmony as if one were not "forcing" the smile.

It is another way of knowing that we can control our emotions and our attitudes. I read recently that because of the evidence that laughter is so beneficial, laugh clubs have started up in India. People getting together to laugh. I know for myself that I can be lifted from a more negative mood if I watch a movie that I find funny. Perhaps it is why Shakespeare wisely inserted humor (I've forgotten the correct terminology) even into his tragedies.

Another way of establishing self care: smile, think positive thoughts, be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment