Feb 2, 2010

Attitude

"The attitude I have -- rather than the results I produce -- is the most important measure of my life," Jack Boland.

Attitude is important. It is important to me that interactions, living conditions, daily activities be pleasant. Attitude has impact on whether or not these things are pleasant. In my early life, training in special education steeped me in behavior modification. I found that I personally preferred setting up conditions that prevented problems, and that preference serves me well in providing care for someone with dementia. I notice areas of difficulty; such as the reading, and we make accommodations to alleviate the difficulty. The Kindle is working out splendidly in this regard. One may not need to buy an electronic book device, as libraries sometimes have them. The pill taking was another problem area, but developing a system using a 7-day pill dispenser handled that. It seems easier to me to prevent a problem than to deal with the emotional fallout that results when problems occur. Losing a checkbook was a problem, so I opened a separate account for Dwane that has a relatively small balance. That way he can keep his dignity and still write checks, but there is not the concern that he will compromise our larger accounts by losing the checkbook. What area of difficulty in your life can be prevented by implementing changes in the environment? My next step is to obtain a credit card for Dwane that has a smaller line of credit, in case he loses it.

No comments:

Post a Comment