Feb 17, 2010

Integrity

"I water my wilderness with faith, and suddenly it blossoms as the rose," Florence Scovel Shinn.

In the book, No Act of Love is Ever Wasted by Thibault and Morgan, one of the authors states that the last lesson we teach our children is how to die well. I think that plays a factor in my choosing to provide caregiving to Dwane. When I became a mother, I remember consciously thinking that it wasn't just about me any more. It changed me dramatically in the responsibility I felt for modeling well for my children. I think part of what I am doing in providing care with graciousness is modeling for my children the way I think people who are dying should be treated. Dwane is not their father, so it is not his aspect that would be modeled for them; it is mine. How do I feel people with dementia should be treated and what is my choice in responsibility toward that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment