Feb 6, 2010

Confusion

When I notice the confusion in Dwane and it concerns me, I remember those people with the type of dementia with significant memory losses, and I feel grateful that I am not dealing with that also. Recently there was a newspaper account of a woman found dead from hypothermia in a field. The article said she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. My heart goes out to her and her family. I think of the amount of guilt one could feel if a person had been responsible for her safety. There are many safeguards we can take to provide for the safety of the persons with dementia for whom we care, but there is no absolute safeguard. We do the best we can by putting in preventative safeguards; we are vigilant in our watchfulness; we are responsible. And that is all we can do. We cannot prevent all incidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment