Jun 27, 2010

"The Calling"

"I signed on without a moment's hesitation. For one whole year my life would be aflame with purpose, single-minded and clear -- to reclaim his life," Alix Kates Shulman.

Finally, I am reading a book which resonates with my experience and my choice to be caregiver. To Love What Is by Alix Kates Shulman. Her memoir addresses the TBI (traumatic brain injury) her husband incurs. It is an amazingly similar experience to that of dealing with dementia. So, too, in my experience, is dealing with someone who is intellectually disabled and/or someone with an addiction a similar experience. I resonated with Alix's account of how she purposely put her life on hold to support her husband's healing for the one year that she thought the doctors told her it would take. Then, I resonated with the "hitting the wall" emotional grief she experiences when she figures out that it is not going to be just one year.

I have not finished the book, but so far it is a book which reflects my experience and helps me feel less alone in my emotional journey in response to living with dementia.

No comments:

Post a Comment