Jun 24, 2010

Rejuvenation

"Peace in the world thus depends on there being peace in the hearts of individuals," His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

The perils to one's health when providing care to someone with dementia is well documented. In the latest Newsweek, Gail Sheehy (author of Passages) states, "Long-term caregivers are at high risk for sleep deprivation, immune system deficiency, depression, chronic anxiety, loss of concentration and premature death." So, how do we avoid these health perils?

One of the best ways for me is to remove from my "plate" all responsibilities, cancel all appointments and commitments and return to my own natural rhythm. It is imperative that we find time to do this. Sheehy suggests at least 1 hour every day and longer periods every few months. I agree. Medicaid allows the caregiver to be away 3-4 days every 90 days. For those of us who do not qualify for Medicaid, we need to find other resources to provide us these respites. I intend to schedule these types of breaks. It is good for me and, thus, it is good for Dwane.

No comments:

Post a Comment