Jun 16, 2013

Being Oneself

"When growing up, I had to check myself at the door like a coat in order to relate to others.  Often, I had to pretend to be less than I was in order to be loved." Mark Nepo

This quote really resonates with me.  Even today I find in some situations that I "check myself at the door like a coat in order to relate to others."  I would guess that many of us grew up in families that discouraged us from being all we could be.  Wayne Dyer tells a cute joke, "The reason Jesus turned out so well is because Mary was REALLY convinced he was the son of God."  Dyer contends we should raise all children that way:  to know they are the daughters and sons of God.  Ironically, the best gift we can give anyone else is to be our own true self.  Let us support each other in being that.

Happy Father's Day to all of you who teach, guide and support others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment