Jun 23, 2013

Self Determination

"Reexamine all that you have been told  . . . . dismiss that which insults your soul."  Walt Whitman

I so enjoy the wisdom of the great poets:  Whitman, Emerson, Mark Nepo, Mary Oliver.  Lyrical language with condensed wisdom.  When I look back over my life, I am astounded at what I have been told that really is not correct.  We look back at our ancestors and think how foolish they were to think the world was flat, but just in our lifetimes there has been so much information which has been corrected.  For instance, not knowing the damage of nuclear bombs when they detonated them in the Nevada deserts, the discovery that there are galaxies beyond our own, new awareness of the interconnectedness of all life.  But, I think Whitman is speaking of more personal things.  What have we been told that limits who we are and how fully we express ourselves?  Whatever is limiting to life is best jettisoned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment