Jun 4, 2013

Gift of Nature



Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace
     will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will
     blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
     while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. 
                                                                                           - John Muir


This morning, while hanging bed sheets out on the line to dry in the spring sun, I noticed movement.  I stood very still as I watched a newborn fawn walking toward me.  Turning my head slightly, I could see the mother deer watching me.  The fawn continued to walk toward me and got within about 3 feet, when the mother became alarmed and called for the fawn.  So newborn that it was wobbly on its feet, the fawn answered the mother's call and turned to follow her.  What a gift.  Only one other time have I been this close to a fawn in the wild.  It was enchanting.  Nature is so restorative.  Thoreau said that a walk in the morning was the best blessing for the day.  I agree.  How can you take time to be with nature today?




No comments:

Post a Comment