Jun 13, 2013

Choosing How We See Things

"Today, no matter where I'm going and no matter what I am doing, it is my dominant intent to see that which I am wanting to see."   ---Abraham

Some days it is easier to see things in a positive way than on some other days.  Yesterday Dwane declared that he wants a motor scooter so he can drive where he wants to go, and he wants to come home to use his shop (with power saws, etc.) to modify the bookcase I have set up in his room.  Terrifying possibilities.  He has not driven for two years, and the last time he drove his motorcycle (3 years ago), he drove off the road (on a level, straight section of the road) and into a big hole.  Fortunately, he was not hurt, but it took 6 of us in the neighborhood to get the motorcycle out of the hole.  As caregiver, one of the hardest things for me to deal with are his unrealistic desires.  I don't blame him for wanting things to be back to normal, but I hate being the one who has to redirect him and set limits.  He even had his physical therapist (who has met with Dwane 3 times and is new to the field of therapy) advocate for him to me:  to just bring him home and let him do projects in the garage with supervision.  For one thing, it would be about 4 hours of driving for me to bring him home and back; but - more important -- we have long since passed the time when it is safe for him to use power tools.   Being a caregiver for someone with Lewy Bodies Dementia is so difficult because the person can seem so reasonable -- in limited conversations -- with their relatively good memory -- that outsiders, even some in medical fields, do not recognize the cognitive limitations that define Lewy Bodies Dementia.  The deficits in comprehension, judgment, impulse control, focus of attention, and problem solving abilities -- in addition to the problems in motor control --  are so pronounced that safety is a real concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment